Win rave reviews from kids and adults alike with these miniature cupcakes!
Prep time: 15 min / Cook time: 17 min
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray
- 18 1⁄4 oz unprepared packaged devil's food cake, or similar chocolate cake mix, divided
- 2 Tbsp apple butter
- 2 Tbsp water, warm (or more to yield smooth batter)
- 2 tsp almond extract, divided
- 16 oz canned sweet cherries packed in light syrup, drained (dark, pitted cherries)
- 1⁄3 cup(s) apple butter
- 1⁄2 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 24-hole mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, make frosting: Mix together 1 cup cake mix, 2 tablespoons apple butter, water and 1 teaspoon almond extract until smooth (add extra water if necessary); set aside.
- Place drained cherries on a paper towel. Pat cherries dry, place on cutting board and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In a mixer on slow speed, combine remaining cake mix, 1/3 cup apple butter, remaining almond extract and egg substitute for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes more; stir in cherries.
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with cherry mixture. Bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost each cupcake with 1 teaspoon reserved frosting.
- Serving size: 1 cupcake
Although we used canned cherries, when they're in season you can use 1 cup fresh, chopped, pitted Bing cherries instead.
Looking for more tips and tricks to help you find your path to health? Weight Watchers offers a variety of tools to fit your lifestyle and health goals, from online and in-person meetings, to motivating weekly tips and strategy videos. Thanks to a partnership with Humana you may be eligible for six months free access! Find out if you qualify. https://www.humana.com/individual-and-family/ad/well-at-work/
Source: Chocolate Cherry Cupcake Bites
What is your go-to healthy snack when you need to satisfy your sweet tooth?