Dried fruits and nuts are a great combo if you want to increase your intake of fiber – why not try it with this dessert recipe?
- ½ cup of golden raisins, dried blueberries, cranberries, raisins, or currants
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ oats
- 1 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: For chocolate fans, try adding chocolate chips (½ cup should be plenty!)
- Spray a 9" loaf pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl and combine well with either your hands or a wooden spoon.
- In a large bowl or your mixer place the sugar and melted butter and mix well, add the eggs one at a time, then add the mashed bananas.
- With your wooden spoon mix in the raisins, oats, nuts and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture a third at a time mixing well each time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the top of the loaf with the raw sugar. This is optional and can be left out. The raw sugar adds a nice touch to the cake but will not detract from the recipe if you don’t have any on hand.
- When the bread is ready a toothpick or knife inserted into the center should come out clean. There may be a little clinging to it, just not gooey batter.
- Place the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes and then pop it out of the pan and its ready to enjoy.