A good night’s sleep doesn’t begin when you get in bed. Follow this countdown to bedtime in order to rest your best.
Hours before bed:
- Six: End the caffeine
- Three: Wrap up dinner and stop alcohol intake
- Two: No more exercise, except for maybe some gentle stretching
- One: Stop working and turn off electronics
Make the hour before bed calming and relaxing by trying one of these. Listen to soothing music. Take a warm bath or shower. Meditate and breathe. Read a book (not an electronic reader). Use soothing essential oils such as lavender.
And a few last tips:
- Stay on a schedule. Try to go to bed and get up at approximately the same time each day.
- Stomach grumbling before bed? Try a cup of herbal tea or, if you’re truly hungry, perhaps some turkey roll ups, nut butter on toast, or a slice of cheese.
- Keep it cool. Ideal bedroom temperatures are between 65 and 72 degrees.
- Darker rooms will help you sleep better. Try blackout curtains or a sleep mask.
When you can’t fall asleep after 30 minutes, perhaps you are not ready for sleep. Switch to another relaxing activity for a while, then try again.
Try it out – make over your sleep routine! Feel overwhelmed by all the tips? Talk to your coach about one or two things to change right now and gradually shift your sleep routine.