Consider an alternative to mashed potatoes with fewer calories and carbohydrates.
Cauliflower boasts nutrients such as vitamin C, K, and B6.
This mashed cauliflower recipe would work for those on a paleo diet, as well as anyone who wants to avoid high-glycemic foods.
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower (approx. 3 lbs.), trimmed and cut into florets
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish ideas: Salt, freshly ground black pepper, chopped thyme, extra virgin olive oil
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Put in the cauliflower and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes or until you’re able to stick a fork through the cauliflower.
- Drain the water from the pot. Return the cauliflower and garlic back to the hot pan. Let it sit 2-3 minutes with the lid on.
- Combine the cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Purée until smooth. If you don’t have a processor, you can mash the ingredients together by hand.
- When smooth, taste-test the mashed cauliflower and add further seasoning as needed.
- Before you serve, as an option, garnish with salt, pepper, chopped thyme, or olive oil.