- Humana members can visit an in-network doctor to schedule regular doctor visits and health screenings.
- If you’re a Humana member, get a custom snapshot of your health with tips to help you manage your diabetes at MyDiabetesPathSM .
Stay on the right path
Having diabetes can be a challenge. You have to be careful about what you eat and make sure you get regular health screenings. There’s no doubt that putting yourself first will pay off in the long run, but it can be difficult to stay on track!
Testing, testing, 1-2-3
One way to keep an eye on things is to make sure you get regular health screenings.
- Blood tests, such as A1C, measure your blood sugar so you and your doctor can see how your body is responding to all of your self-care efforts, or determine if you need to set some new health goals. Making quick changes based on regular test results may help keep your blood sugar numbers in a healthy range.
- Another standard test for diabetes is a urine sample. Staying in the know about your kidney health and getting treated early if your doctor finds a problem may lessen your chances of additional health issues down the road.
- Regular eye exams check can detect problems early, when they’re easier to treat. Smart idea? You bet!
Put yourself first
In addition to knowing your numbers and seeing your doctor regularly, be sure to:
- check your feet for cuts or sores.
- monitor your blood pressure.
- refill your prescriptions on time.
Make it easy on yourself
You’re not in this alone. There are people and tools that can help you remember what you need to do.
- Have your doctor’s office send you a reminder when it’s time for your next appointment or health screening.
- Sign up for automatic refills or mail delivery at your pharmacy.
- Buy a blood pressure kit or use the one at your drug store or other retail location.
If you forget a thing or two now and then, that’s OK, just get back on track as soon as you can. The important thing is to follow your doctor’s advice and contact him or her if something doesn’t seem quite right.
Links to various other websites from this site are provided for your convenience only and do not constitute or imply endorsement by Humana of these sites, any products or services described on these sites, or of any other material contained therein. Humana disclaims responsibility for their content and accuracy.
This material is intended for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional. You should consult with your doctor.
Humana is a Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO and PFFS organization with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in any Humana plan depends on contract renewal.
This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments and restrictions may apply. Benefits may change each year.